I'm not sure what this is, maybe a hope chest, it is a piece that I have owned for many years. The lid was split in two and the trim was off, but still there. It was lined with cedar.
It had a top with a hinge, but I wanted it to open in the front so I had to knock it apart even more. Eventually I had taken apart almost the whole box.
So besides the repairs that originally had to be done, I had to repair what I knocked apart myself :)
I knew that I wanted to add some sort of legs to this piece, but nothing was working for me. I just couldn't find what I wanted. I built a piece out of reclaimed wood but it just didn't go with the chest. I looked through my "junk" pile, and through my son's "junk" pile, finally I found these balusters in my brother's "junk" pile. I cut them down to size, cut holes in the bottom of the chest and attached them to the chest. FINALLY!!! Something that worked.
I cut the front to size and attached it with a piano hinge. I wanted a little more decoration on the front so I attached some wooden appliques that I had.
I cut a piece of laminated pine for a lower shelf, then painted the whole thing in Smoked Turquoise, and antiqued it with ebony stain.
I'm sharing at ...