Saturday, 15 February 2014

One Armed Bandit; Side Chair Makeover

Pin It

This poor old girl was in very good shape, a little blah, and the poor dear only had one arm.  She was very sturdy and definitely worth making over.  She was given to me because her owner was pretty sure I would see her worth.  She had been previously made over, and was done very well.

You can see by her insides that she is older than she looked.  Since I removed her other arm, I had to add support on the sides so that she won't loosen up and get wobbly.  You can see her original fabric right below my left hand.  It was sort of a gold brocade I think.

She looks likes she is getting younger every day!

I'm thinking about painting her legs, but for today, here she is.

How do you like her now?

Pin It

Wednesday, 12 February 2014

Vintage Window + Silhouette Cameo; Vintage window project.

Pin It

Last week while I was challenging myself to 3 pieces of furniture in 10 days I got sick.  Not terribly sick, but just sick, and so tired I didn't do much for 3 days.  Those of you who know me know that too
much down time drives me crazy, so during that time I made this little project.

The window is approximately 24" X 24"
I love this phrase!

Pin It

Sunday, 9 February 2014

Personal Challenge, Three Pieces of Furniture in 10 Days; Piece #3; Entrance Bench Makeover: I did it!!!

Pin It

I have challenged myself to makeover 3 pieces of furniture in 10 days.  Husband left on a holiday, youngest son left a couple of days later to meet up with him and older brothers, daughter lives out of town, this left me home alone.  Heaven!  Now let it be known, I love my family and  I don't want to live alone forever, but a week sounds great!

This is the first piece I tackled, but the last of the three that I finished. This is a fairly new piece for me, I've only had it since August, it kind of butted in line because of it's size.  I need it out of my way. In the above pic you see the top, and the next picture is the bottom.  I had done some filling earlier and it required sanding before I could prime.

I started by priming it with Zinser 123.  I actually liked this look.

I don't know what is going on with me lately, but I'm having such a hard time deciding what colour to paint things.  I was trying to choose between gray and white, and the next day started painting it turquoise, who knew?

After a couple of coats I antiqued it with black.  Once that dried I had to decide on a fabric for the seat. Decisions, decisions...
The mirror was broken, so I repaired that. I reupholstered the seat after taking several hours to decide on a fabric (seriously, it took me so long that I actually did another project in the meantime) and put it all back together.

 I guess it was worth all that indecision because I think I got it right. I love it, now I wonder why I doubted myself along the way.

Pin It

Saturday, 8 February 2014

Chaise Lounge Makeover; I'm Challenging Myself, 3 Pieces of Furniture in 10 Days; Piece #2

Pin It

My friend Laura found this piece, and had no room for it.  Yay, lucky me, I managed to sneak squeeze it into my stash.  I am trying to move some of my bigger pieces out of storage because I need room to work in my workshop.  I also felt like doing some upholstery, but not a hard one.

It looks like it's in good shape, but actually the edges were torn up.  Originally I planned to take the headrest part out and maybe add some armrests, but it would have been a big project so I decided to just go with it the way it was.

I tried out my new staple gun for the first time, it was pretty awesome.  I had a little problem with it jamming, but on the whole it was great.  Way better than my electric stapler, and I couldn't even go back to a manual stapler after this.

A picture of the new bottom before I turn it over to have a look at the top.

It was hard to get a good picture of it, this will have to do.

I'm happy with the way it turned out.  I might make some cushions for it.

Well, that's piece #2, third piece is almost done.  Tomorrow is really my last day to work on things, so I guess it was really a 9 day challenge.

Pin It

End Table Makeover; I'm Challenging Myself, 3 Pieces of Furniture in 10 Days; Piece #1

Pin It

I bought this little end table many years ago.  It looked like it was in great shape at the time, I didn't even have to refinish it.  Before long I found out that the seller had just sprayed it with some sort of finish, lacquer or varnish or something.  It wasn't long before it started to lift off.  Although I continued to use it, it has been a mess for a good many years.  The wood is nothing special, no beautiful grain, so I decided to paint it.

I easily sanded the varnish off the top, and just lightly sanded the legs.

I painted it with Zinser 123 primer.  I have to admit, I almost changed my mind and painted it white. But I had already decided to go bold, so I went ahead a stuck with the plan.

I hate washing paint brushes, so I have been known to brush as much paint out as possible and then just use it in a new colour.  That's what I did in this case, I knew that it was going to take a few coats anyway so I didn't see a problem with using my white brush in the red paint.  As hard as I work sometimes, I can be pretty lazy, ha ha.  It's definitely hot pink at the moment.

One more coat I and got the red that I wanted.
Now to antique it with a little black,
and voila, here it is, a quick little makeover.  My goal is 3 pieces of furniture in 10 days, we will see.

I shared this project at:

Primitive and Proper

Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...