Monday, 4 March 2013

Libler and Son, or is That Libler and Mom? Part II

Pin It

We hammered our first nails on Easter Sunday, after church and before dinner.  We had an early melt that year, so it was great to have an early start.  As  you can see the ice is still on the lake.  Here is the  carpenter!  My son Budd.  

This was my first time using my new BFF, the air nailer, I LOVE this tool!  I bought her at a garage sale for $40 with a couple of boxes of nails, a great deal, plus I met the guy I bought it from at the grocery store a month or two  later and he said he found more nails, he had them in his truck for me.  You gotta love a small town!  A couple of months later when I met him again, he asked me if I wanted to sell it, he decided he needed one after all.  Nope, sorry, she's mine.

The Master, he already knew what he was doing.

Here is Manuel having a go at it.  He doesn't trust it, 

especially when I use it.  :)  Ha ha, could he get any further away and still be holding that board for me?

Men at work, get your floor on!

We worked weekends, and some evenings.  We were busy as bees.  Sometimes we got company, that was always nice.

My cousin from BC came to town, he knew where to find us, 3 doors down from his Mom and Dad. My Mom came to see us almost every time we worked.  She usually brought us tea.

 Sometimes we had to call the family and friends, there is only so much three people can do.  They were willing whenever we needed them.  Here is the first wall going up.

I suggested that Mom take the picture (she was 81 at the time), absolutely not, she was going to be in on the lifting, so they did a fake lift for the photo op, and then I ran into place and we all lifted.

Tying the walls together.  You have to be part monkey to build a house, did you know that, yeah he gets it from his Dad, there is no monkey in me, too bad, it would come in handy sometimes.

Don't forget my BFF, isn't she lovely!

A little beauty on the work site.  It was Mother's Day and I went to church where they gave the Mothers a carnation.  Naturally I left mine at the work site, after all, that's where I was spending most of my time.

Oh yeah, back to the build, time for rafters, here is the  process for getting rafters up on top of the walls.  Set them all up against the house.

Then the men get up high, drop the ropes down to me,  I hook up the next rafter, and they pull it up to the top and walk it down to the far end.  Yeah, I know, I got the easy job, they were ready for a break when they got them up there.  They were so fast I didn't have time to grab the camera to get a shot of them in action.

Here they are, all our rafters in a row, ready to be flipped up and secured into place.

Remember the monkey business?  Remember where I said it came from? Yup, his Dad.

Time for shingling!

I  DO work, there is just never anybody around to take a picture of it.  Every now and then I have to say "Take a picture of me working."  Having said that, I left soon after this to take a trip to San Francisco for my 50th birthday.  I did invite my husband to come, but he chose to stay home,  good thing, somebody had to finish shingling the roof!

All closed in, windows and everything!

 You know how I told you I do work, see this wall, this is my wall, I built it all by myself.  Doorway and everything!

This is a picture of the sun about to go down, however, the colouring is caused by smoke in the air from a forest fire.  It wasn't close, but the smoke carries a long way and when the sun shines through it, it shows pink.

Well that is probably enough pics for today, if you stuck with me through all this, thank you!  It has been great looking at these again.  It brings back good memories and gives me a big sense of accomplishment.  Next time I will jump to the finishes.

While my son Budd was the main builder on this project, all of my kids spent at least a day or two there.  Even my son who lives in BC, it's too bad we didn't get a pic of that, we put the septic field in by ourselves, with guidance from our gravel contractor.  We are real DIYers.  Oh wait, speaking of septic...   Before we could bury the new septic tank, we had to fill it halfway with water, Buddy decided to go for a dip in the Redneck swimming pool.

That night I told people we had the pool installed today. lol

Pin It


  1. Loved all the pictures and the commentary! I'm really sorry I never got to see the finished project inside! I like the rip in Johnny's coat! :)

  2. looks AMAZING Faye - I still can't believe you guys did all that yourselves! Talk about real DIYers :) I can't WAIT to see more!!


Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...