I started this project with this old door. My original thought was to make a tall hall tree type bench. I removed the window and the hardware and sanded it down.
After letting it sit, painted turquoise, for a couple of weeks, I changed my plan and cut it into pieces. At this point I pretty much had a pile of old lumber because most of it fell apart. I guess after this I forgot to take pictures for a while. Basically I reglued and reorganized all of the pieces and added a piece of plywood where the window was, and this is what I had. I added the support for the seat.
At this point the character of the old door was hard to see so I added some of my own.
Once I painted the new additions it became obvious again that this started out as an old door. I left the original paint on the end pieces because I like the look of the chippy paint.
I almost didn't antique this piece, and once I did, I couldn't believe I had thought about not doing it. It brought out so much character! I only antiqued the turqoise part, I left the old finish alone. After antiquing, I coated the whole thing with polyurethane to protect the finishes, old and new.
Choosing the fabric is always fun, I have been wanting to use this fabric for a while and I love the way it looks on this bench.
Here is a closer look at the end piece, I love how it turned out.
Happy, happy, happy!