Sunday 30 December 2012

First Lesson In Fibreglass; how to fix a fibreglass sleigh

Pin It
Fibreglass manufacturing is part of my family history.  When I was growing up my Uncle manufactured fibreglass boats and snowmobile sleighs.  Although I have seen it done throughout my life, I decided it was time I tried my hand at it.  My cousin Dave (seen previously pushing down trees at my log cabin) still repairs things now and then.  I asked him to give me a call next time he was working on something.  A couple of weeks ago he did just that and I went over to his shop in the evening for a lesson.  This is what I learned.

It is very important to prepare the piece that needs to be repaired,  He used a grinder to roughen up the area to be repaired.


Cut out your fibreglass and have it ready.


Mix the hardener into the resin.


Brush on the first layer of resin.


Lay the fibreglass onto the resin and dab on a lot of resin, making sure you leave no air bubbles.


The fibreglass must be thoroughly soaked.



After it hardened, he hand sanded the patches, painted the sleigh, and put the runners back on.  And that, people, is what I did on my Christmas Vacation, :)




Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...