Sunday 20 January 2013

Homemade WonTons

Pin It


 Wontons are very easy and quick to make when you use purchased wrappers.  Back in the day I used to make my own wrappers, but really, for the time and effort it involved, I find it much easier to use the bought ones.

The recipe is quite simple:
1/2 lb ground pork
1 egg
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Put all ingredients in a bowl, and mix it up, I use my hand so that I know all the meat is mixed in.


Lay a number of wrappers out on a flat surface, add a teaspoon of meat mixture in the center of each wrapper.

Wet 2 connecting sides of the wrapper with water.  I just dip my finger in a bowl and rub it along the edges.


Fold wrapper over meat to make a triangle, gently press edges together, trying not to trap a pocket of air.


Fold over one of the lower edges, wet the tip, and then fold the other point over and gently press to other point.


Ready for the pot!

  
If you wish to deep fry them, this is the time to do it.  I'm not an expert on that way of preparing them as I have only done it once, but if I remember correctly, heat your oil (or lard) as you normally do for deep frying, carefully add wontons one at a time, cook for a few minutes and drain on paper towel.  I almost always boil mine.  Bring water to a boil, once it is boiling fairly hard, add approx 10 (more if you use a bigger pot) wontons.  I usually do 10 at a time because I can almost keep up with making the next batch, while the first batch is cooking.  Once the water is boiling hard again, cook for 3 minutes.  I'm guessing that this recipe will make around 40 wontons, but don't quote me.  Today I started with a partial package of wrappers, and ran out so I'm not sure how many it would have made.


Remove from boiling water with a slotted spoon, the water is now ready for more wontons to be added.


This is what they look like when cooked.  At this point you can add them to soup, but more often than not, I just sprinkle them with soy sauce and eat them like this.


If you love wontons but have never made them yourself, I encourage you to try it, it really is not hard.

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. You make it look easy and delicious, Faye, but it looks too much like making perogies, and that was HARD. Never doin' it again! :)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...